Saturday, October 17, 2009

Muriel's House

We joined Muriel at the Joy Center last night for a pizza party with her 30+ boys and girls that are living at the home.  They greeted us with amazing smiles and songs as we got out of our van.  It always warms the heart and brings tears to the eyes.  It’s an amazing thing to watch street kids and orphans exhibit such thankfulness and joy.  The world would lead them to believe that they have nothing to be thankful for and everything to be bitter about, but that’s not the case at the Joy Center.  

They presented us with some stupid funny dramas they had written.  They are so funny and so creative.  We enjoyed hanging out and just being a friend for the night.  

We set up last year’s donation (a video projector) and played the DVD that the students of Real Life made the Sunday before we left.  Muriel cried and cried.  She loved it so much!!!  When they video ended told us that she wanted us to come back next week cause she had just ordered a new plague for the outside wall of the Joy Center that says that they are an extension of Glad Tidings A/G.  Wow!!!!  It comes in next Monday so were making time to go back on Tuesday and hang this new plague on her wall.  We were so honored.  

We then presented our donations (clothing, school supplies, kitchen utensils, cooking supplies, towels, sheets, blankets, etc..)  We also presented Muriel with a cash offering that the students of RL have been collecting since last year.  We gave the Joy Center over $1200 this year.  Wow!!  Muriel was just speechless.  

Melissa & Courtney presented Muriel with a special gift from Jeanette, who couldn’t be with us this year.  When Melissa told Muriel why Jeanette couldn’t come (having a baby).  Muriel immediately said, “I hope she named it after me”.  We all just looked at each other in shock.  Courtney read the letter and we all cried as Muriel received the gift.  

Julie present letters from the students of King’s Academy and the students of Joy Center all smiled and cheered when they heard they were getting a letter from an American student.  They promised to write back.  

We showed some videos from last year’s trip which the students loved and then we kinda randomly just broke up into groups and started hanging with kids.  Ray, Chris and Brenda with balloons, Chris Knarr with a soccer ball.  Kayleigh hanging with some teens.  Nick and Courtney had a sermon preached to them from Muriel about missions.  Sheena ministered powerfully to a young girl who has had a very traumatic year.  Julie & Melissa crying about the potential of a Joy Center student coming to King’s Academy under their foreign exchange student program.  Chris Young capturing it all on video.  Cindy handing out candy and bracelets.  It was just amazing.  We could have stayed there all.  

We came back, had family time on the porch after Chris Knarr ran through the hallway doing his family time dance.  Amazing things are happening.  Keep praying.  

We have a youth outreach tonight in Oujo. We are praying for an amazing turn out and a great night.  

Love you all,

PE

7 comments:

Jeanette Keylor said...

OK, I'm sitting here in my PJs crying. Woke up this AM knowing that you would have posted your time at Muriel's and I couldn't wait to read about it. If you know me at all, you know how important Muriel is to me. Thank you, thank you, thank you, for giving her my picture of Arabella and reading her my letter. Isn't God amazing? I am so blessed to know her and to have friends like you sending my love and blessings from all the way over here. Thank you, thank you, thank you. I don't know what else to say. I can't stop crying. I love you guys.

Jeanette

PS - Julie, I also woke up with you on my heart and mind. Sending you love and prayers...not sure why, but God has impressed you on my thoughts today. I know you must be missing your kids real bad right now, but God is so happy you're in Namibia lovin on HIS kids there. See you when you get back...much love :)

Anonymous said...

OH MY GOODNESS!!! I am so touched by this team. You are all so amazing...I wish I knew you all personally. It is early Saturday morning here in the states and I'm sitting at my computer crying. I just finished watching the video of Nick doing the alter call. You have no idea what this does to a Grandma's heart. I remember the exact moment that Nich shared his calling into ministry with me. I'm so proud of you, Nick. I know that there are family members out there watching all of you and their hearts are bursting with love, but when the camera panned the kids and they raised their hands, so many of them, I just began to pray that this decision would stick...they have so much against them...we must pray continually for them. I love you Eran and Julie...so glad you got to do this one together. We are so proud of you both.
Love you all...Kathe (aka Mom, G)

Linda Evers said...

Dear God,
Please continue to bless this team as they serve you. May lives be changed because the people experience Your love through their efforts. Bless this team with protection, joy in the ministry and enough time to take in and savor the sights and special moments.

Linda Evers

Kim Young said...

I'm sitting here in awe of the God's work in each one of you. As I watched each precious hand go up I couldn't help but think of the deafening applause that went on in heaven!! Really...just think about that. Then I heard the words of Greg Hubbard go through my mind...."give the devil a heart attack!!" That's exactly what's been happening as you have been ministering. The applause has been so loud that the enemies camp can't help but to hear it. Oh, I'm loving that thought! Praise God for each one of you for reaching out to these beautiful people....praise God for the hope you are showing them. Let us all praise God!!

Chris - continuing to pray for you and continuing to love, love, love you so much!! I am completely and crazy-proud of you! Keep being a tool for Him.

Anonymous said...

AMAZING! I am prating for all of you. You are making a difference in peoples lives that they will NEVER forget!

Emmett (Dad)

tia said...

God bless you all! I'm so grateful that you have the video capabilities - it's so awesome to see this team in action as you reach out to share God's love with them. (tears) at the connections I can see you make- or that God makes through you!

Chris - missing talking to you sooo much! Will continue to pray for God to use you in huge ways. Also for you and your team to stay well! FYI I'm back home now safe and sound-- will pray like mad for you as you continue your work there and for your safe return!!!

Blessings~
tia

Anonymous said...

loved the candid-ness of the post. loved the simplicity and sweet timing of God. loved how near and dear you can feel about people you've never met. loved what God is doing and what even MORE He has in store.

hated that you spelled the word plaque as PLAGUE. that's a sad typo.

loved the thought of GT at the Joy Center!

hated that I wasn't there.

Prayin for more moments of love,
Andrea D.