Thursday, October 15, 2009

Thursday Highlights

Hello family and friends!
 
Wow, such an indescribably blessed day of ministry!
 
We started out with school assemblies where the team rocked it out with the dramas, songs, testimonies, and messages! We were unbelievably proud of them! So many children accepted the Lord, and then we gave all of the children a copy of  “The Book of Hope,” which is the message of the gospel told through pictures specifically for children their age.
 
We spent the afternoon holding a children’s fun day for hundreds of children. It was awesome to see the inflatable obstacle course that BGMC provided for the children’s missionary. There were hundreds of children, and it started raining, so I saw our team at their best as they came up with creative and resourceful fun for the masses!
 
The volleyball tournament was a big success! It drew many people from the village to come play and watch, and many of them stayed for the service, where we did worship, dramas, and a gospel message. It was so exciting to see how many people responded to the gospel message and accepted Christ!
 
I think the big highlight of the day was seeing where the well is being drilled, and hearing how it will transform the entire community. There are no businesses in Kalkveld because there is no water. And since there are no businesses, there are no jobs. And since there are no jobs, there is no money for food, medicine, or other necessities. That is how water can change EVERYTHING. The regional council is giving the Assemblies of God land to build a church right next to the well! That is huge because up to this point, the council wasn’t interested in having a church built – now they are giving the church a HUGE central plot of land! Pastor Mario, the pastor who is reaching out to Kalkveld, kept saying that “we have given him a voice in Kalkveld.” Once the well is dug and the church is built, Pastor Mario has a vision to use the church as a multipurpose facility where they will provide tutoring, have a vegetable garden, and teach members of the community how to sew and make crafts to sell. That’s just the beginning of his vision!
 
Tomorrow we are doing outreach in another village where the missionaries here are planting a church. Our schedule includes 4 school assemblies, home and hospital visits, and a pizza party with our beloved friends at the Joy Centre with Muriel!
 
Please continue to keep us in prayer!
 
Love and gratitude,
 
Pastor Courtney and the team
 
P.S. Katie and Duty – my sincere apologies for the exclusion! I love you dearly and have not forgotten you! Katie – return the green tea vibes! Duty – happy birthday!

12 comments:

Katie Taylor said...

Courtney,
I am happy to say that I accept your apology. I imagine the heat just got to you. You'd probably be happy to know that it is a miserable day here in PA, 38 degrees and raining and grey. So you should be even happier to be in the heat. I am officially continuing your green tea vibes. I love you bunches!

To the rest of the team--

I am so proud of you all. My heart is warm (even on this frigid day) when I read about what you all have done in just one day. The smiles, love, opportunities, and most importantly story of Jesus that you share with them will change their lives in such a way. Stop for a minute, and just imagine the hope you have planted in their lives, it's truly amazing. It is obvious that God has huge things in store for you all-- search vigorously for chances to go above and beyond, and to love more than you know how. Seek to do more than you think is possible, and just wait for God to be your strength and vision. I am so blessed to be reading about this, I love you all :]

P.S. Chris Young. I know that I don't know you well, but I just want to say how much of a joy it is to see you in these pictures. Your smile and eyes, they just look so...fulfilled? Yeah, I think it's something like that. Like you are right where you belong-- it's great to see. I'm excited for the changes and paths that God will bring about for you through this trip.

Sheena, way to rep the sin chair. Try not to get too tan!<3

Kim Young said...

So thankful for technology! I look forward to checking this blog every day!

Sounds like God is doing incredible things through this team. So very thankful for His goodness and constant grace.

Will continue to pray for each one of you. And on a side note....Chris, you're amazing! So proud of you!
I can't wait to just sit down with you and hear about this trip and what God has done in your life! Enjoy the journey... :)

Jeanette Keylor said...

Um yeah...so many things to say, but don't want to get all teary eyed. Most importantly, please give my love to Muriel tomorrow at your pizza party. You know part of my heart is there with her and her kids. Please tell her Arabella JOY and I are thinking of her and praying for her and her beautiful kids. Wow I miss her so much.

Christopher Knarr - Really with the sandwich AGAIN? Hope it didn't leave ya hurtin at all. I know ur loving ministry...keep your eyes and ears peeled...God has something special for you there. I know it.

Brenda and Ray - Give those kids extra lovin from a girl who loves children's ministry back here in ole PA!

Pastor Melissa - I bet ur having a wonderful time. Praying for you as you reunite with friends and loved ones in Namibia and share a new team that loves them back! I know ur second home missed you much :)

Keep the pix comin! You guys are awesome. Isn't Africa the best? Just think...you are reaching so many with the good news of Jesus Christ...our savior...He is so good. What a mighty God we serve! Keep it up guys...sending lots of energy and smiles your way.

LOVE LOVE LOVE Jeanette

missy garvey said...

Dear team,
Me and my jealous self wants you to come home immediately. i love seeing the smiles your faces in these pictures. I cant take the pictures of Chris (knarr) seriously though because come on he is in a body suit and/or stuffing his face with a terminator. no seriously i died a little when i saw those. BAHAAHA! i miss you guys like crazy and just want to encourage you with the thought that if God says it is going to be done then don't even think about it twice because it will happen. I'm so happy to hear about the well. Some of you may know about the fits that I through when people waste water. I've yelled at so many people and I give them long lectures about how people in Africa die over the things that we just dump down the drain. erg. But we are slowly but surly fixing this fact. i feel like my comments make no sense.

i love you all come home soon COURTNEY I AM DIEING TO TELL YOU SOMETHING ITS RIPPING ME APART INSIDE.

missy garvey~~

Missy Garvey 2 said...

p.s. please agree with me in saying we need one of those bath couch's in the next gen center

Anonymous said...

Ok. So now I am just so totally psyched about India!!! We prayed mightily over your team during our team meeting at Greg's tonight. 3 weeks from today and we are on our way!!! Love this blog and pray this all comes together for me to be able to do the same thing in India!!! Love you guys!!! Lorena

lydiasnow said...

hello africa team! ahhh i love the pictures :)

chris young, i DIED when i saw you were superman in sin chair hahaha. you skinny little boy, but you definitely are one heck of a superman inside :) also, i have some CRAZY stories to tell you when you get home and i can't wait for you to laugh at them with me.

courtney! as i was looking through the pictures and i saw PE's scab, i was reminded of you. i know how you told me in jamaica that you LOVE picking scabs but pleaseeee refrain from doing that to his hahaha. (you're welcome in advance PE ;) and i prolly just embarassed the heck out of you but it's okay because you embarassed me in jamaica with the shackles dance at the girls home so HA! love you though :)

i miss you all like crazy. i am sososo proud of each and every one of you and i wish i was there with you guys! it's currently 37 degrees here and raining. so enjoy the fabulous weather over there :) i can't wait for the next update to hear what amazing things god is doing over there! praying for you all and i miss you terribly.

lydia

Anonymous said...

Nickle-Pickle...
Just want you to know we love you so much and are sooo proud of you. Can't begin to imagine the ways God is going to use this trip to shape your life and future. I'm crying just looking at the pictures!
aunt joy

Eran & Julie...
We're praying for you and the kids here at home. We love you lots!!
joy

Jeff said...

It looks and sounds like you had an amazing day advancing the Kingdom of God. What a team! You are in the thoughts and prayers of many people all day long.

Stay focused on the tasks that have been set before you. Seek God's wisdom and strength.

Chris: Mom and I are so overjoyed for you to have this opportunity to serve God in this way. Can't wait to hear all your stories and see all your pictures. Make sure you get as many of both as possible.

God's Blessings to you all.
In Christ's Love,
Jeff.

PS. Good news on the home front: The Gonyeas have a brand new baby boy (Jed) in their family. Praise God!

In addition, the Phillies beat the Dodgers 8-6 in game 1 of the NLCS.

Kim Serban said...

Isaiah 43:18-19 (MSG)
But forget all that - it is nothing compared to what I am going to do. For I am about to do something new. See, I have already begun! Do you not see it? I will make a pathway through the wilderness. I will create rivers in the dry wasteland.

2 Cor. 4:18 (MSG)
There's far more here than meets the eye. The things we see now are here today, gone tomorrow. But the things we can't see now will last forever.

Praying that God will give you eyes of faith to see past the temporal and look to the eternal. Seeds that you plant may take time to grow, but remember ... "there's far more here than meets the eye." He is making a "river" through the "desert". Look for it!

Can wait to see what God does today! Love and constant prayers to my son and the whole team.
AMAZING!

Jen Bohner said...

I'll be praying for you guys today as you have a crazy busy schedule. I pray that God grants you a supernatural energy that only He can give. :) You are all doing great, great things for the kingdom of God. It blesses me so much... even from allllll the way over here. Miss you guys a ton. Keep on doing what you do over there!

Mom and Dad, love you times a bajillion. :) So proud of both of you.

-your Duty.

Jen Bohner said...

p.s. Chris (Knarr) If you don't grow you hair like that for real.... we can't be friends any more. the end.