Saturday, October 18, 2008

FRIDAY 10.17 and SATURDAY 10.18

Hey guys!

I don't have much time to write, but I wanted to fill you in quickly. We are at the coast sightseeing and visiting with the Gardner families (children's ministry missionaries). It seriously feels like we are in a completely different country. Picture old German architecture in a tropical setting and you have the town of Swakopmund. Every building looks like those cuckoo clocks (know what I mean?)... surrounded by palm trees and sand. It's beautiful! And the weather is at least 20 degrees cooler. The locals are wearing winter jackets :)

Yesterday we did some shopping in the afternoon, checked into our bungalows on the beach, and had a lovely dinner hosted by the Gardners in their home.

Today, we went to breakfast at one of Pastor Rob's favorite restaurants - the Village Cafe (wait til you see photos of Chris' enormous meal!). We then participated in the Swakopmund March for Jesus. When the reached the government building, they gathered for a service. When they heard we were there, they invited us to perform one of our songs and dances for them. Maurice and the team led them in "Not Forgotten." There was a wide variety of demoninations represented (none of them Pentecostal), and they were ALL dancing and singing along! We loved it!

From there we went to wait at the finish line for Melissa, who ran her first marathon today! She came in 13th, with a time of 4 hours and 10 minutes! The first thing she told Maurice as he ran up alongside her is, "I didn't stop once!" We were so proud of her and thrilled to be there for her!

We did some more shopping and had lunch at the Gardner's home again. From here, we are riding 4-wheelers on dessert sand dunes, and then climbing the second highest sand dune in the world (not the most relaxing day off, but definitely fun!).

We'll check in again tomorrow night! We miss our friends and family, but we're going strong. Thanks for your prayers.

Love and gratitude,

*Pastor Courtney and the team

10 comments:

Donna said...

Jen & Sharon
I know that God is using you all in a mighty way! Miss you both and cannot wait until you get home so that you can share with us just how much God has used each and everyone of you in this journey. I continue to pray a shield of protection around the team, for not only safety and continued good health, but also for spiritual guidance.

God Bless!
Donna B

angie said...

Hi Mom(Debbie Talarico)
I miss you so much I cant wait till you come home. I just figured out how to use this thing. It looks like you guys are having a great expierence over there helping others, I think its great! I love you. Tell Sharon I said Hi. I cant wait to here all about your trip. Be safe.
Love Angie
Also Mia asks for you everyday, she needs her mimi.

Barb said...

Hi Pastor Erin,Pastor courtney,Justine,Maurice and Missy,Janet and the whole team, You are doing an outstanding work for the Lord! You are all a spiritual inspiration to me! I pray the Lord would strengthen you and protect you and bring you home safely. We all miss you very much. The pictures are heart stirring. God Bless you, Barb & the 8th grade girls group

adascalescu said...

My Wonder Twin Jeanette,
I miss you and am so thrilled that you're taking VBS joy to the farthest parts of this earth. You be joy! You're a gem. I miss you! I'm going to check in on Shane tomorrow at church for you. I think Pastor Bryan misses you, too...

Praying that God gives you buckets of wisdom and joy,
Andrea D.

adascalescu said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Unknown said...

Kay,
Hope you have enjoyed your weekend and you found much needed rest. It is so exciting to hear about all that you and the team are doing. Lives are being changed because of your hard efforts, hang in there! Just to update you- I had two interviews this week and I am more confused than ever. Please pray for guidance and patience for me. I think we finally decided where to settle down but that too is still up in the air. So many decisions and so much to trust God for. We extended our stay in the hotel for another week so I will be joining you the week after you return (Probably Monday). That will give you a chance to rest when you get home :)
We send our love and are praying for you.
love you!
Stevie

Katie Taylor said...

well, it seems like you guys had some much deserved fun time off.
shoutout to maurice ( day 8 )
it's saturday... that means only 5 days until you come home! :] i hope that you will continue to give your all for the remainder of the trip-- stick in there if you are feeling tired... the end is in sight. so proud of all that you've done already, so happy and excited for what is still to come... keep up all you do-- love you & tons of prayers... katie
p.s. MISS JUSTINE!! i miss you. and i love you... and the pictures of you are great-- way to work the sin chair. hope you are feeling well, and that you have gotten some much-needed rest. love--
p.s.s. pastor eran.. wouldn't want you to feel left out... and courtney too. love you both.. so happy for all that you guys have been able to do already :] mucho love & prayers are coming your way--

Angela said...

Hello, Mother (Sharon Gruber):
We're all missing you. I told Madison that Nani was coming over to see her (Nani Libby) and she was so excited because she thought it was "Nani Sharon"! I visit the site daily. Love to be able to read and see pics of what you are doing. We all love you so much for the things you are doing over there. It's wonderful. Can't wait for your safe return.
Love Angie, Donny and Girls :-)

JHolt07 said...

Hi Moe,

Wow, everyone else said all the super encouraging "You go!" comments so...maybe I'll tell you I saw a car just like yours today and thought of you. Or I could say how I wish you'd come over and eat all our cereal and crackers, or I could tell you the kids are outside right now and it would be cool if you were here playing with them. Maybe I'll tell you I looked at your mom on stage today and wondered how much she misses you. Well, maybe not! It's just weird that Eran AND you are in Africa. No making silly videos telling Eran how much we miss him cause...you don't miss him! How rude of you to go. (people, people, please...joking here)
See you soon.
Julie

Anonymous said...

Oh Ray what's that you're eating?..jk Ray..the pixs of the children tell the story..they are having a blast..hugs and blessings to all of you
missing your faces :-)
Sharon