Monday, October 20, 2008

MONDAY 10.20: safari!

We spent the day on a self-guided safari in Etosha (which is roughly half the size of Pennsylvania). Basically, you travel from water hole to water hole looking for animals (particularly lions :) Here is a list of some of the animals we saw:

Kudu
Oryx
Sprinkbok
Wildebeests
Jackals
Giraffes
Ostriches
Elephants
Impalas
Zebras
the friendliest little ground squirrels (according to Maurice)
and...

LIONS!

Last year we saw a few lions from FAR off in the distance (if we zoomed in fully with our cameras and binoculars, we could barely make out their silhouette). This year we were hopeful but not certain (especially since we were taking a shorter route through the park). Lion sightings are rare (they spend most of their time sleeping). As we approached one of the water holes, Pastor Eran noticed that the elephants were all looking in the same direction and shielding their babies. He told Maurice to scan the tree line, and sure enough, there was a female lion, sprawled out in the shade, watching the animals at the water hole. We were amazed at her size when she stood up (look in the photo of the elephants by the water). SOOO exciting! Already our lion encounter surpassed last year's. We stopped for a picnic lunch at the guest center and then checked the animal sighting log so we knew where to look. As we approached the next waterhole, Pastor Eran once again noticed that the giraffes were all looking in the same direction, and instantly spotted a large male lion laying in the grass! (lion spotting is his secret power :) We shared the sighting with a car parked next to us, and they shared with us that just a short drive toward camp were 5 lions just laying along the side of the road. We took off to find them right away. As you can see in photos, we found 2 young lions laying under a tree literally a foot or two from the road! Unbelievable! We were ecstatic. We figured the other 3 must have left, but as we started to drive away, we noticed 3 more hiding in the brush (two females and a large male). We got within a few yards! Speechless. I alone took 100 photos :) Check them out below.

K, I'm out of time, and we have 2 full days of ministry left before we come home. I'll write back tomorrow!

*Pastor Courtney and the team

8 comments:

Unknown said...

Mom (Kay),
Wow!!! I'm so jealous...God forgive me. The safari looks incredible!!! I can't wait to hear the stories!
Change in plans...I WILL be at your house when you get home. Our extension request at the hotel was not approved. But, Naomi promises to let you rest before she plays with her grandmosley. Thanks and we are looking forward to your safe return. Enjoy the last few days!
We love you!
Stevie, Jesse, and Naomi

adascalescu said...

Courtney,
I love your Lion King spread of photos. I like that you are probably entertaining and energizing the team over the most minute and mundane of tasks. I hate that every time I go to church, your office light is off. But I know you shall return soon. I've been praying that this trip bring clarity to your undeniable calling, and further develop an unshakable confidence in what God can do through you.

Loving you,
Andrea D.

P.S. Here's a random mission for you...try and photograph a dung beetle for me.

Patricia Ried said...

kay- what an AMAZING safari. It sure beats the Washington Zoo. I can only imagine how spectacular it has been to see these animals up close in their natural environment. Enjoy the last week in Africa! love you, Patty

Gina Garvey said...

Every time I try to sign in I have to end up making a new acct... Does anyone else have this problem??

Any way, The pics are great.. I did have this long post but after I had to sign up again it was lost.. But basically you are all missed and I personally can not wait till you all arrive home safe on Friday.

Missy, I love and miss you very much. Pastor E, make sure she gets on the plane..No matter what she thinks, she can't stay..:-)

Have a safe and wonderful last days of ministry. God Bless all of you.

Gina

Ryan Garvey said...

about the photographs below, I NEVER WOULD OF THOUGHT OF MY SISTER DRIVING A 4 WHEELER. Lucky >.<

hope you guys are having a good time (i bet you are) be safe! XD

Essie said...

Holy Moley Court those pictures are amazing! National Geographic worthy! lol I can't wait to see your gorgeous face back here in PA! Even though you prolly don't wanna come home lol I love you tons! I hope you have an amazing last 2 days of ministry :-) Give it your all!!!!!

Lots o' Luvin, Ess

jim brossman said...

Great pictures Courtney.Jen, I tried to call Monday and Tuesday and it wasn't taking any international calls.I hope you all are doing well.Have a wonderful last 2 days of ministry.You guys are always in our prayers.I just can't wait to hear all about the trip.Take care and God Bless you guys.See you guys soon

Gina Garvey said...

What?? Pastor E is leaving early..Okay Ray..its up to you. Listen up. Make sure Missy gets on the plane..

Can't wait to see you all and hear all the stories behind all the pics.

Gina